New Orleans, LA - InterContinental New Orleans is undergoing a $26 million renovation, the first major work performed at the hotel property since its opening in 1984. Work is expected to be completed by early fall
According to InterContinental New Orleans General Manager John Romano, the renovation is the most important investment made to date in New Orleans by the hotel's new ownership. Romano said, "The renovation demonstrates the ownership's commitment to deliver high quality, dependable service. And, we intend to continue to look at trends and innovations in facilities improvement that competitively position InterContinental New Orleans in the market and better serve New Orleans and the industry that drives the economy of the city, the state and the region."
The new ownership team is Southwest Value Partners, a San Diego real estate investment firm and Dimension Development, a hotel management company based in Natchitoches, Louisiana. The hotel has retained the InterContinental Hotels brand. In January 2013, the property was sold by its original owners, Pan-American Life Insurance Company and InterContinental Hotels Group.
The sense of arrival to the InterContinental New Orleans is the most immediately recognizable element of the renovation. The new, dramatic and expansive entrance lobby is the design centerpiece of the renovation. The transformation of the hotel's 1st level entrance into a new spacious lobby begins with the removal of the 1st level escalators.
- 1st level entrance dramatically transformed
- New 1st level expansive, comfortable lobby with front desk and concierge area
- New and renovated spaces accommodate a lounge and a signature restaurant, adjoining the open 1st level lobby
- New 2nd level state-of-the-art meeting spaces
- 12,000 square feet of meeting space
- Rebuilt hotel infrastructure including, heating and cooling systems and laundry operations
- 479 completely renovated guestrooms
Simultaneous with the hotel's renovations, preparations are underway for the National Basketball Association All Star Game and InterContinental New Orleans' annual signature Mardi Gras celebration, among other high-profile hotel activities and events.
"We are open for business. Plans are in place to ensure that renovations will have minimal impact on hotel guests. This year with Mardi Gras coming later on the calendar followed closely by the French Quarter Fest and Jazz Fest, we are expecting a very busy spring. By fall our guestrooms and meeting spaces will be completed and the hotel's lounge and signature restaurant will be open for guests and locals to enjoy," said Romano.
- During renovations, the portico vehicle entrance and exit facing St. Charles Avenue is unchanged.
- During renovations, guests will enter and exit the building at the hotel's atrium. The atrium entrance is located to the right of the hotel's portico.
- Guestroom renovations will be conducted floor by floor. While work is in progress on a designated floor, the floor will be closed to hotel guests.
- Hotel room service and catering operations are unchanged
- Veranda restaurant breakfast, lunch and dinner service is unchanged.
- InterContinental New Orleans will play its traditional role as host to Rex - the King of Carnival and the Rex organization on Mardi Gras Day.
Â· InterContinental New Orleans Mardi Gras public viewing stands are under construction and an announcement will be made in the near future about parade tickets and buffet packages