Posted on: January 18 2011by Tom Johansmeyer (RSS feed) on Jan 17th 2011 at 1:30PM
So, Orbitz noted when we like to travel ... but where do we go? The top 10 destinations in the country were mostly predictable, with big tourist-magnet cities dominating the list. There were a few surprises, according to the information supplied by Orbitz: Boston, for example, didn't make the list, after having ranked ninth in 2009. Los Angeles, fifth in 2009, also fell off in 2010. New Orleans and Honolulu debuted last year.
In the top 10 U.S. destinations last year, average daily hotel rates rose, yet some spots, like Las Vegas and San Diego, still offered great bargains, with rates well below 2008 levels still.
So, which cities are among our 10 favorites? Let's take a look below!
1. Las Vegas, Nevada: Vegas was hit hard by the financial crisis – expect to see some deals there for a while
2. New York, New York: how can the Big Apple not be an ongoing favorite?
3. Chicago, Illinois: the top city in the Midwest just had to make the list!4. San Francisco, California: forget Los Angeles, this is the place to see out west
5. San Diego, California: again, this is a great alternative to Tinseltown
6. Orlando, Florida: remember that there's more to Orlando than the theme parks
7. Honolulu, Hawaii: if you're going to spend some time on the beach, do it right
8. New Orleans, Louisiana: it may have taken a while, but the recovery following Hurricane Katrina is definitely under way
9. Washington, DC: the allure of the nation's capital can never be resisted
10. Miami, Florida: where else can you see and sample so many great bodies in one place? You have to check this out!