Built back in 1862, this red brick building used to be the Saint Vincent's Infant Asylum. Austin-based Lambert McGuire Design has converted it into a 75-room hotel that mixes 20th-century Italianate style and mid-century modern design.
Bathrooms feature cherry-red tubs and psychedelic wallpaper, and the guest-only cocktail bar the Chapel Club is reached via a dramatic neon-lit corridor.
The Chloe occupies a former mansion house designed in 1981 by American architect Thomas Sully. Local decorator Sara Ruffin Costello created moody interiors for the hotel, with inky blue walls and an alligator-print carpet running up the stairs.
Antiques fill the halls and the bedrooms feature four-poster beds and freestanding tubs. Guests can sip cocktails out on the porch, which is lined with 19th-century tiles.
Kelly Sawdon and Studio Shamshiri co-founder Pamela Shamshiri describe their design for the 67-room Maison De La Luz as "madcap and fun", featuring snake-themed iconography and eccentric decor in a converted historic building.
The hotel includes Bar Marilou, a public bar painted a glossy red colour with tiger-print fringed bar stools. Private bedrooms are decorated with a calmer colour scheme to encourage guests to relax and recharge.
Hotel Peter and Paul was originally a church, rectory, convent and school from the 1800s and remained in use up to the 20th century. New Orleans-based StudioWTA and New York studio ASH NYC have created a 71-bed hotel in the building, repairing the stained glass windows and preserving cypress wood mouldings and marble fireplaces.
Religious iconography features throughout, including four-poster beds topped with crucifixes and paintings of saints hanging in the bedrooms.
New York studio Stonehill Taylor knocked through seven warehouses to create the 196-bed Eliza Jane hotel. The buildings used to house businesses, such as the Peychaud Bitters factory and local paper The Daily Picayune.
Antique typewriters decorate the bar area and exposed beams and brickwork nod to the building's industrial past.
Local firm Eskew+Dumez+Ripple converted and extended this nine-storey art deco furniture factory, originally designed in 1928 by Weiss, Dreyfous and Seiferth, into a 234-room hotel for the Ace Hotel chain.
Original terrazzo floors and dramatic columns have been restored and preserved in the lobby and restaurant, while rooms feature dark wood furniture and a colour palette of smokey blues and greys.
A pair of townhouses originally designed in the 1860s for two sisters have been converted into the 18-room Henry Howard Hotel.
Grand white-painted columns and walk-through windows line the exterior, while interiors feature high ceilings and an eclectic mix of furniture. Musical instruments in the bedrooms nod to the city's jazz connections.